The Boon families settled the village of Boon Hill in eastern Johnston County as early as the 1740s. Boon Hill was the forerunner of Princeton receiving a municipal charter from the State Legislature in 1861and is the second oldest town in the county. Reportedly, a prominent citizen and native of New Jersey and an admirer of Princeton University influenced the name change in 1873.
For Town of Princeton information contact:
Town of Princeton
P.O. Box 67
Princeton, NC 27569